Second Stage is a series of advanced training programs for dedicated students with the experience and desire to continue professional training in the performing arts. Through Kid’s Co NW, Studio NW, Studio JR, and Interns NW, selected students develop their craft, guided by top theater professionals, through a combination of advanced classes, workshops, and performance opportunities.
All Second Stage programs are tuition based, with the exception of Interns NW. Tuition assistance is available for qualifying students. Participation in all Second Stage programs is by audition or special invitation only. Learn more about NWCT Season Auditions here.
Upcoming SECOND STAGE Performances
Kids Co. Holiday Performance: Wednesday, December 11 at 7:00 pm
Studio JR’s Little Red: Tuesday, May 19 & Wednesday, May 20 at 6:00 pm
Studio NW’s Chicago: HS Edition: Thursday, May 28, Friday, May 29 & Saturday, May 20 at 7:00 pm
Tickets for Kids Co. and Studio JR are FREE! Tickets to Chicago are $10, and will be available for purchase on February 1!
NWCT’s ambassador troupe! The talented young performers of Kids Co. develop and tour a musical revue around the Portland Metro area. This program is designed for intermediate and advanced students looking for a tight-knit ensemble experience.
- Participation – Kids Co. is an invitation/audition only program. Performers are selected from our Skills and Playlab classes or NWCT Season Auditions in May.
- Schedule – Rehearsals are Wednesdays, 4:30-7:30pm. Performers participate in one of two terms – Holiday (Sept.-Dec.) or Spring (Jan.-Mar.)
- Tuition – 2019-2020 pricing is $350. Financial aid is available by calling 503-222-2190 or completing this scholarship application.
- Contact & Booking – For more information, or to book a Kids Co. performance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Studio JR is the first step into professional training for the performing arts. This audition-only program provides students with advanced instruction in voice, dance, and acting as well as unique performance opportunities, including a spring musical on the mainstage.
- Participation – Students may audition for Studio JR during NWCT Season Auditions in May. Following the audition process, a maximum of 20 students are accepted into the program. To learn more about NWCT Season Auditions, click here.
- Schedule – Classes/Rehearsals are Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:15-6:15pm. Studio JR is a year-long program and students must commit to all three terms (Sept.-May).
- Tuition – 2019-2020 pricing is $1,100. This includes all classes, rehearsals, and performances. Financial aid is available by calling 503-222-2190 or completing this scholarship application.
- Contact – For more information, contact email@example.com.
This advanced training program offers specialized instruction, exclusive workshops and field trips, and unique performance opportunities, including a spring musical on the mainstage. Studio NW builds on the skills learned in Studio JR, but Studio JR is not a prerequisite for participation.
- Participation – Students may audition for Studio NW during NWCT Season Auditions in May. Following the audition process, a maximum of 40 students are accepted into the program. To learn more about NWCT Season Auditions, click here.
- Schedule – Classes/Rehearsals are Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6:30-8:30pm during Fall and Winter terms. In spring, classes are Tuesdays only and the optional musical rehearses on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Studio NW is a year-long program and students must commit to all three terms (Sept.-May).
- Tuition – 2019-2020 pricing is $950 plus an additional $350 for the (optional) spring musical. Financial aid is available by calling 503-222-2190 or completing this scholarship application.
- Contact – For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interns NW is a year-long advanced training program in theater arts. Selected students gain hands-on experience in a variety of theatrical disciplines while working with NWCT professional staff and guest artists. Internships combine onstage and backstage experience with advanced instruction, allowing interns to explore a range of theater arts in a focused, professional atmosphere. Interns also attend field trips and have access to free/reduced tickets to professional productions around Portland, including ART and PCS.
- Participation – Invitations to join the program are sent out in May. Interns are selected by audition, written application, recommendations, and an interview. Students may participate in a First, Second, and Third Year internship.
- Tuition – Interns NW is a tuition-free program! Additional opportunities may be offered that require a fee.
- Advanced Training Requirement – All First Year Interns participate in advanced training focusing predominantly on performance related skills. While some classes are mandatory, interns select classes of interest to them from a calendar of options based on their skills and availability. All interns must participate in a minimum of 20 hours of Advanced Training per term.
Technical Requirement – All First Year Interns are assigned to work backstage on one Mainstage production as a stagehand, wardrobe/dresser or booth technician. NWCT Mainstage productions include weekday performances. First Year Interns are required to be excused from up to four days of school in order to complete their technical requirement, as well as some late rehearsal nights and a long weekend commitment prior to opening.
Front of House Requirement – All First Year Interns are assigned to work as Assistant House Manager for two weekends per season on a Mainstage or Second Stage show.
Company Events & Galas – First Year Interns will be asked to assist with NWCT galas and fundraising events. Many Interns have been able to apply these hours towards credit for community service requirements at school.
Intern Showcase – During NWCT’s Spring term, Interns have the option to mount a showcase/workshop production. Interns will head up all areas of production (except directing) and the details of the production will depend largely on the strengths of the students. Participation in this project is not mandatory.
- Contact – For program questions and comments, please contact us here.
Summer Days is NWCT’s premiere Advanced Musical Theater Training Program for teens. This 4-week intensive identifies individual goals for reach student and tailors the curriculum to match. Students are pushed to work outside of their comfort zone and tackle new skills. Classes include solo, duet, and large group vocal numbers, as well as tap, modern jazz, and classic musical theater choreography. Every student is given both solo and ensemble performance opportunities. This training program moves fast and is extremely challenging. Participation is by audition or director invitation only.
Students must audition or be invited to participate in this program. Auditions are in May.To learn more about NWCT Season Auditions, click here.